- Why choose us
- Rules and Law
- Model Clauses
- Contact us
The 4th edition of the SOAS Arbitration in Africa conference will be hosted by the Kigali International Arbitration Centre (KIAC) from 2nd-4th May 2018 at Radisson Blu Hotel & Convention (...)
The Centre has a panel of domestic and international arbitrators. In order to promote quality and standards, the admission to the panel of domestic arbitrators requires some criteria. Parties to KIAC arbitrations are free to nominate their arbitrators, subject to by the Centre in accordance with the KIAC Rules. Party-nominated arbitrators do not need to be listed on KIAC’s Panels. When KIAC is called upon to appoint an arbitrator, it does so primarily from one of its panels.
Please click here for a list of KIAC domestic arbitrators. List adopted on 30th June 2016.
Please click here for the list of KIAC Panel of International Arbitrators. List adopted on 30th May 2016.
Article One:Criteria for the panel of domestic arbitrators
Minimum standards for KIAC panel of domestic arbitrators:
1. Educational degree(s) and/or professional license(s) appropriate to your field of expertise
2. At least five( 5) years post qualification experience;
3. Have undertaken a recognized course of study in the law and practice of arbitration and/or have been at least qualified Associate Membership of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators or any comparable professional arbitration Institute.
4. Experience as an arbitrator in two or more cases
5. Membership in a professional association(s)
6. Aged between 30 and 70 years
Article 2: Criteria for the panel of international arbitrators
Minimum standards for KIAC panel of International arbitrators;
1. Educational degree(s) and/or professional license(s) appropriate to your field of expertise;
2. At least ten (10) years post qualification experience or senior-level business or professional experience;
3. Be fellow of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators or any comparable professional arbitration institute
4. Experience as an arbitrator in five or more cases;
5. membership in a professional association(s)
6. Aged between 30-75 years
Article 3: Admission
Admission to the KIAC Panel of Arbitrators is by invitation from the Chairman of the Board of Directors, advised by the Secretary General.
The KIAC Board of Directors reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to admit or to refuse the admission of any person to the Panel.
In exercising its discretion, KIAC Board of Directors will have regard to the qualifications, experience of an applicant as well as to the number of arbitrators currently on the Panel from the country in which the applicant is resident.
KIAC Board of Directors also reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to remove any person from the Panel at any time.
Article 4: Application fee
The application fee to the Panel of domestic and international arbitration is each two hundred (200) American dollars payable to the KIAC by local check or bank transfer to the KIAC account specified by the Secretary General.